Whiterock Conservancy is a non-profit land trust that stewards over 5,500 acres and 40 miles of trails in West-Central Iowa near Coon Rapids. The gorgeous Whiterock landscape attracts visitors from all over and spans oak savanna, rolling pastures, remnant and restored prairies, wetlands, the Middle Raccoon River, sandstone bluffs, fishing ponds, cropland, and unique historic and geologic sites. Whiterock Conservancy was founded in 2004 with the mission to achieve a sustainable, resilient rural landscape, and transform people’s connection with agriculture and nature. https://www.whiterockconservancy.org/
Part-Time Facilities Maintenance
Reports to: Guest Experience Manager, Misty Conrad
Status: Part-time, Hourly
Pay: $14 to $15.90/hr depending on experience
This position requires problem solving, basic understanding of tools and equipment and flexibility. Focusing on the maintenance and improvement of Whiterock’s guest services facilities. The facilities maintenance person will also assist with various public-facing tasks, particularly guest maintenance requests. They must love the outdoors and be willing to perform physically rigorous tasks, work in inclement weather, and work both in a group and independently. They must also be comfortable working with the public, including diverse visitors and volunteers. If you are looking for a large variety of tasks, this position will be perfect for you.
Maintenance of guest and office facilities
- Perform minor repairs such as but not limited to minor electric, plumbing, carpentry, and yard maintenance.
- Check control panels and electrical wiring to identify issues.
- Install appliances and equipment.
- Conduct maintenance tasks such as replacing light bulbs and air filters
- Maintain, service, clean, and properly store equipment
- Check functionality of safety systems (e.g. fire alarm)
- Inspect and repair all damages to building surfaces
- Participate in different projects (e.g. renovations)
- Work with Guest Experience Manager and housekeeping to identify repair and maintenance needs in guest accommodations, event venues, and office sites.
- Be proactive in researching, identifying, and sourcing cost effective solutions.
- Assist with identification of contractors on larger projects as assigned.
- Work with and oversee volunteer groups on related projects
- Ensure adherence to quality standards and health and safety regulations
- Perform other duties and activities as assigned
- Assist with Whiterock’s volunteer program by preparing for projects and working with individuals and groups
- Support trail users, campers, and other Whiterock guests by giving directions, answering questions, and providing resources
- Provide backup for guest experience activities as needed, such as equipment rentals, events, gardening, mowing and string trimming, and facilities maintenance
- Assist with all-hands-on-deck activities and projects
- Desire to work for a nonprofit organization in a rural setting
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record. Ability to use personal vehicle under Whiterock Conservancy travel reimbursement policy
- Previous working experience in facilities maintenance, construction, or repair person
- Hands on experience with hand and electrical tools
- Ability to walk up and down multiple flights of stairs while carrying items
- Ability to scale up and down ladders, use hand tools, operate saws and other power tools proficiently
- Ability to consistently lift 50lbs
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions
- Ability to work weekends
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Excellent communication and listening skills, respectful and reliable conduct
- In depth knowledge of HVAC, plumbing and electrical systems (preferred)
Please email a resume, three references, and a one-page cover letter to Misty Conrad, Whiterock’s Guest Experience Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions may also be directed to Misty via email or phone, 712-790-8221 x1.