1. Provides leadership for Inpatient Nursing and Emergency Departments.
• Develops goals and objectives, policies and procedures that reflect evidence-based standards of practice and “best practices”.
• Responsible for staff assignments and departmental schedules to meet organizational needs, and the orientation, training and supervision of staff in each nursing area.
• Provides fiscal management by developing, recommending and monitoring departmental operating and capital budgets as instructed and ensures compliance. Evaluates and justify equipment, supply needs and purchases. Selects and purchases equipment and supplies as budgeted and approved. Manages departmental resources by taking physical inventories.
• Responsible for following established standards to ensure nursing areas are meeting regulatory compliance.
• Performs clinical skills for the direct delivery of patient care to mentor, evaluate, and coach staff.
2. Accountable for department quality performance improvement. Member of the quality council.
3. Oversees House Supervisors and Care Coordinator/Community Health Worker.
4. Accountable for service excellence and patient satisfaction scores for departments.
5. Oversees and assigns the discharge calls process, trending, and reporting and the patient rounding program.
6. Collaborates with clinical informatics coordinator for clinical computer documentation projects and updates.
7. Ensures compliance with conditions of participation for CAH regulations. Responsible for survey readiness including staff updates, communication and education.
8. Collaborates with the House Supervisors and Education Coordinator for the nursing orientation process and annual competencies for clinical staff.
9. As part of Nursing Leadership team, develops, implements, and documents competency training and assists with clinical mandatory education (TNCC, ACLS, PALS, etc) for assigned departments.
10. Ensures the trauma coordinator tracks all trauma education, data collection and quality improvement. Completes all paperwork for trauma designation and ensuring requirements are met to maintain that designation.
11. Responsible for ensuring Utilization Review functions are completed by designee
12. Reviews on lengths of stay and level of care criteria.
13. Reports to Chief of Staff and Chief Clinical Office any variances or concerns
14. Tracks and reports trends and appropriateness of level of care, level of service, and appropriateness of admissions for Utilization Review.
15. Facilitates Peer Review Committee.
16. Maintains relationship with institutions and agencies to facilitate referrals.
17. Leads Support Groups and community education programs as delegated.
18. Promotes a team atmosphere
• Contributes to team efforts and uses appropriate conflict management skills proactively to resolve intradepartmental and interdepartmental grievances and concerns.
• Develops standards of performance. Monitors and supervises staff. Evaluates performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions such as hiring, merit increases, promotions and discipline. Provides coaching as needed.
• Maintains a role in recruitment, recognition and retention. Works toward ensuring an adequate workforce for future needs.
• Organizes regular Huddles or communication method/staff meetings for the purpose of communicating new/revised policies, procedures, equipment, and departmental and organizational concerns.
• Responsible for promoting patient, staff and physician satisfaction and safety. .
• Responsible for rounding on daily basis.
In addition to the functions described above, this role may include other responsibilities and duties as assigned on occasion, based upon Dallas County Hospital needs or requirements.
Note: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Current RN license in the State of Iowa. Minimum of three years hospital experience, required. BSN or Bachelor’s Degree in related field preferred. Healthcare leadership formal education including LEAN/PEx education recommended or willing to obtain.
Must be certified in BLS and complete dependent adult/child abuse training. Certification in ACLS, TNCC, NRP and PALS.
Experience and knowledge in the use of electronic patient documentation/order entry systems.
Experience in providing staff education.
The incumbent must demonstrate an understanding and working knowledge of the Windows environment as well as ability to access and use information in meaningful ways. The incumbent must have the ability to access, manipulate, organize and relay information in meaningful ways using email, word processing and spreadsheets. A working knowledge of the Internet is preferred.
Supports the Dallas County Hospital vision and mission. Maintains confidentiality of all work information. Demonstrates an ability to function successfully in a team environment. Exhibits courteous, compassionate and respectful treatment of internal and external customers. Displays a positive attitude and flexibility in changing situations. Participates in identifying problems and suggesting solutions. Understands and adheres to the Dallas County Hospital compliance policy. This role may include other responsibilities and duties as assigned on occasion, based upon Dallas County Hospital needs or requirements.
Decision Making Latitude
Has freedom to determine how to best accomplish functions within budget, established procedures and protocol and confers with CCO on any unusual situations or problems.