• Ability to maintain confidentiality; and both a high standard of courtesy and cooperation in dealing with co-workers, patients, and visitors, and satisfactory job performance despite the stress of hospital work environment.
• Adheres to DCH Mission, values and standards of behavior.
• Is prompt and efficient with minimal absences.
• Follows DCH dress code.
• Carries out nursing interventions safely and accurately utilizing knowledge, judgment, and skill to implement physicians’ orders and the nursing plan of care.
• Demonstrates effective communication skills.
• Works independently with limited direct supervision using policies, nursing standards and professional judgment.
• Prioritizes workloads in work areas in coordination with team members and Director.
• Administers medications and intravenous solutions skillfully and correctly.
• Coordinates patient schedules.
• Effectively coordinates and assumes job responsibilities of team members during absences.
• Participates in prior authorizations of services.
• Arranges to have needed supplies and equipment on hand.
• Creates a working climate that provides growth and job satisfaction of team members.
• Performs documentation in the nursing unit and in the patient’s record accurately, concisely and in a timely manner.
• Supports and enforces infection control policies and procedures.
• Assists in reviewing and revising policies.
• Attend meetings and in-services and competencies as required.
• Participates in planning changes and improvements.
In addition to the functions described above, this role may include other responsibilities and duties as assigned on occasion, based upon Dallas County Hospital needs or requirements.
Note: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Graduate of an approved registered nursing program. Possession of current or compact state license as a Registered Nurse in the state of Iowa.
• Technical Skills:
Initiate and maintain IV and Venous Access Ports (VAP) according to Hospital policies. Assist with lab draws as needed. Ability to operate IV pumps and Nimbus take home infusion pumps. Administer Chemotherapy. Apply and maintain Wound Vac Pumps and dressing changes. Room patients in the specialty clinic setting. Assist with minor procedures in the Specialty Clinic setting with physicians and providers. Assist in Surgery with Admission and Discharge when needed.
Ability to operate all equipment and perform all procedures in nursing department. Demonstrates knowledge, abilities and skills required to perform a wide variety of nursing functions. Mathematical ability necessary to compute drug dosages accurately. Completion of unit specific competencies as scheduled. Competencies will be a minimum of annually.
• Other qualifications/certificate/license:
BCLS, ACLS, PALS and Completion of Dependent Adult/Child Abuse. Chemo Verified or Attend Chemotherapy education for the ability to administer Chemotherapy and attend updates and education as necessary. Complete yearly nursing competencies.
• Knowledge Skills:
Demonstrate ability to manage Ambulatory orders. Access sites and numbers to prior authorize services as needed. Prioritize multiple demands while practicing good time management skills. Educate patients and families about medications, treatments of cancer and the disease process in related areas.
• PC Competencies:
The incumbent must demonstrate an understanding and working knowledge of the Windows environment as well as an ability to access and use information in meaningful ways. The incumbent must have the ability to access, manipulate, organize and relay information in meaningful ways using email, word processing.
• Behavioral Competencies:
Support Dallas County Hospital’s vision and mission; maintain confidentiality of all work information;
demonstrate an ability to function successfully in a team environment; exhibit courteous, compassionate and respectful treatment of internal and external customers; display a positive attitude and flexibility in changing situations; participate in identifying problems and suggesting solutions. Upholds and adheres to the Standards of Behaviors. Understands and adheres to the Dallas County Hospital compliance policy.